These projects don’t really warrant a project page in their own right but are here to showcase some other techniques.
Online species atlas viewer
The online atlas viewer uses OpenLayers to create a full page GoogleMap overlaid with species distributions at different resolutions which switch on and off automatically as you zoom in and out of the map. The map can be rendered in different styles showing where the species has been recorded most recently or where it was first recorded. This is particularly useful for invasive species to show where the infection spread from.
Stream uses a wordpress plugin to take WordPress tags and convert the tag words or phrases to links anywhere they appear in the post content. This lets you navigate your posts by stream of consciousness.
In 2011, for a botanical survey project we adapted some open source market research software called LimeSurvey and QueXF to create machine readable field survey forms for recording a species list with coverage scores.
One of the benefits of GeoServer is that any content you can render to an online map or GIS using WMS / WFS can also be rendering into GoogleEarth as KML. This has the added benefit of being able to use the terrain model built into GoogleEarth to wrap the content over the landscape.
When David first spoke to me about Primary Poems I looked into using CSS to format content as poetry and my initial thought was to try to make it look like a modern slant on a traditional poetry anthology so I used a serif font with a calligraphic script for the author and gave the page a sepia tint. In the end, given that the site was intended to be used in classrooms, we decided to go with a very different look and the only thing that really remains is the dropped capital.