Having removed the tide-marked woodstain and got a finish I was pretty happy with I moved on to gluing the neck in place. Pretty straight forward but also possible to mightily screw up. I bought some nice clamps, and then whimsically decided to do it in about 5 minutes on the way out the door.
It was all going pretty well until I realised I’d glued the neck in completely the wrong place obscuring one of the pickup cutouts and obviously changing the length of the neck in the process.
I read quite a lot about whether it was possible to break a glued wood joint – most of which said it wasn’t. With a butter knife, some white vinegar, perseverance and about 2 weeks I managed to gradually work the neck free and it cleaned up pretty nicely.